Foundational Community Building is an entry-level, stand-alone certificate applicable to those working or volunteering in community leadership role. It is suitable for those from a variety of sectors e.g. health, social services, economic development, education, justice, libraries, elected officials, recreation, agricultural, arts, co-operatives, environment etc. who are committed to collective impact, community transformation, and working with others to strengthen leadership and innovation in their communities.
Upon completion of this certificate, participants will be better able to:
- serve as a catalyst for positive community change
- discuss solutions and frameworks for furthering community development, community building, collective impact, and comprehensive community transformation, and;
- demonstrate personal growth as a community leader.
Volunteers, staff of government and non-profit organizations, elected officials, and business leaders who may have some responsibilty for community building at a neighbourhood, neighbourhood, or communtiy level. It is also suitable for funders or senior leaders wanting to make community development a priority.
Learning Options and Cost:
- 5 modules (1.5 hours each)
- can be taken via online webinars at a cost of $50 for each webinar
- in some cases, face to face workshops may also be an option
Note: Future development will also allow participants the option of self-directed learning via the Campus Video and Link Libraries.
Webinars are 1.5 hours in length and run for 5 consecutive weeks. Additionally, there is a reading each week (the equivalent of a book chapter) that is required reading before each webinar (this ensures a readiness for online discussion and peer to peer learning). If a participant choses to be certified, additional time must be allotted for reviewing the practice tests provided for each module. Live participation in all of the webinars is recommended however, participants will also have access to each webinar recording.
Testing and Certification:
- Testing is optional for all participants but it is a requirement for receiving the actual certification.
- If participants select the testing option, they will be provided with access to a practice test after each module, but there will only be one final written test for the actual certification that is accessed online and must be completed within two weeks of the last module.
- Testing Cost: $100.
Note: this certificate is a prerequisite for the Community Development for Practitioners Certificate.
- CB101 Intro to Community Building
- CB102 The Increasing Relevance and Importance of Community Development
- CB103 Roles and Skills of a Community Developer
- CB104 Tools and Resources for Enhancing Community Leadership
- CB105 Planning Using a Community Development Approach